Wednesday, July 30, 2008

First time Windows Vista or Disillusion in 30 minutes

I just got my brand new retail PC sold with Vista Home Premium from Atelco, decent seller for computer related products in Deutschland (Germany). So I expect that Atelco had put some though in their configuration, what is working best with Vista. It even came not just with Vista, it came with Vista SP1 preinstalled.

After hitting the market for over a year and with SP1 I was willing to take the challange.....

It took me 30 minutes until I wrecked my Vista for the first time.

Until the installation I got the installer error: "Error 1628: Failed to complete script based install". Too late I found a promising link so I decided to reinstall.

In total I reinstalled it 2 times this night. The first upgrade install did not fix the problem, so I had to do another complete reinstall.

But this was not the end of disappointments.

The next was named Bluetooth. I had a simple USB Dongle. After I personally found it disappointing that Microsoft had failed to ship XP with proper Bluetooth support, I was absolutely convinced that it would be no problem at all to connect my Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse as well as my Nokia N95 mobile with Vista.

Well think again. Although keyboard and mouse seemed to work at first, it soon turned out that after a certain time (between 1 hour and 1 minute) the keyboard would delay every key pressed for 10 seconds or more. Not really the ideal solution for playing an ego shooter game.
Even worst was my mobile. I got a lot of installation errors (sync profile) errors, that from now on popped up every time I started my Vista.
When I googled for the problem it soon turned out that the Bluetooth stack that comes with Windows Vista is complete crap. If you want to use Bluetooth you still need to install a 3rd party bluetooth stack.

Apart from that I already had a blue screen during boot (bad_pool header), I have a disc usage of almost 80 gigs without anything installed, the disc is running with intense activity for no obvious reason, the icons use up space like nothing, the program menu looks like crap, the permanent questioning to authorize this and that sucks like hell.

Just today I heard a story from a real good IT guy, who had the following problem. After starting his Vista Laptop in a Windows 2003 Server controlled domain, his Vista would start and connect fine the first time, but when you shutdown or reboot this was the last time your Vista will ever connect to ANY network.
The reason is that the server distributes a group policy (which is aimed at XP Workstations). Once Vista applies the group policy it disables everything that is not explicitily allowed. And this includes various network services. Even worse. Even the administrator won't be able to revive the services ("Access denied") and you won't ever be able to connect to any network!
This means under certain circumstances your Vista will commit suicide.

But apart from the fact that Vista is big, bloated, unstable, confusing and a potential suicide candidate, what are the advantages compared to XP?

...
.....
........
...........

(Still thinking)

No comments: